Workshop Fee: Member $199/Nonmember $229
The workshop will cover fundamental concepts, approaches and technologies, operations, and troubleshooting of the unit processes of a typical refinery wastewater treatment system. The workshop will provide a working knowledge of wastewater characterization; oil/solids removal; equalization; biological treatment; biological solids separation; sludge and oil handling and dewatering; and will conclude with an operation and maintenance forum. Each presentation will include lecture, example problems, video of special test methods with Q&A breaks after each subject (several per presentation) to encourage an interactive relationship between presenters and participants. Further description of each topic follows:
- Characterization – including key process parameters and alternate test methods; major waste streams and their characteristics; impacts of crude slate changes; current and future permit parameters and limits; and in situ and in line monitoring.
- Oil/Solids Removal – including Stoke’s Law; gravity/flotation/filtration approaches; system design consideration; regulatory impacts, safety in design, removal expectations; technology options; operations and troubleshooting; video of separation testing.
- Biological Treatment – including equalization concepts and advantages; suspended and attached growth treatment system fundamentals; technology options; introduction to modeling; microbiological issues; toxicity; operations and troubleshooting; video of oxygen uptake testing.
- Biological Solids Separation – including characteristics of biological solids; microbiological impacts on separation; gravity, flotation and filtration approaches; basics of technology selection; design subtleties; operations and troubleshooting; video of settling and flotation testing.
- Sludge and Oil Handling and Dewatering – including characteristics of oil, oily solids and biological solid residuals at refinery WWTPs; dewatering and disposal approaches (including coker injection); basics of technology selection; operations and troubleshooting, video of centrifuge testing.
- Operation and Maintenance Forum – including overview of most important operational parameters; operator requirements and functions; manual versus automatic control; in situ and in line analytical techniques; and troubleshooting.